First of all are you registered to vote? There is still time. It is less than 100 years since all women were given the vote in the UK. Please use your vote.
Secondly, out of 650 MP’s only 148 are women and there are only four women in a Cabinet of 23. Ask your candidates their views on this disparity and how they intend to work on influencing a fairer representation of women…..a representation that fairly reflects our population.
Thirdly, ask candidates about their views and strategies on issues that impact on women such as:
- Women are more likely to run single parent households.
- The recession had a disproportionate impact on women.
- As we emerge from recession most women are employed in low paid part time work and/or zero hours contracts.
- Public sector cuts have had and are having a disproportionate impact on women both in losing jobs and losing help/support with caring responsibilities.
- How will they help change institutional attitudes that women are responsible for all care?
- Women owned businesses more often close for ‘personal reasons’ rather than business failure and the peak years for closure coincide with the peak years for childbearing and rearing.
Professor Clare Brindley
Professor of Marketing and Entrepreneurship
Nottingham Business School
Nottingham Trent University
If you would like to speak to Professor Brindley, please contact Helen Breese in the NTU Press Office via email or telephone: +44 (0)115 848 8751